Pages

List of the Best Products for African American Hair


My sisters and I have used a lot of different products over the years, we've had a few different hair beauticians and they were all good at what they did. I also have a whole host of friends who have great hair and they use great products (not that this matterspersay, but they come from well to do families and are able to spend alot getting their hair done every week or 2).So with my experience I feel like I am accurately able to name the best products for women of color:

This list is in NO particular order. The best product for you totally depends on your hair type. After I name the best, then I 'll give you my general preferences and recommendations.

1. Mizani

2. Patene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural

3. Nairobi

4. KeraCare

5. Dr. Miracles

6. Organic Root Stimulator

7. Design Essentials

9. Essations

10. Jane Carter Solutions

11. Elasta QP

12. Nexus


Others: Straight Request (Silky Milk), Redken, Designer Touch, Dudley's, Bronner Brothers, Nioxin

If you check with any great hairstylist, they will agree that these are the best mainstream hair products hands down.

My personal recommendation is to use the products that are infused with more natural minerals oppose to the products that are chemical heavy--- but again it just depends on your hair.

For example, I swear by Mizani because it had truly nurtured my hair, but my sister and aunt use Keracare. I personally don't recommend Keracare as a whole because it had done more damage to my hair than good... but that's just because alot of their products are just so strong. There perm is too strong and the fact that they have shampoos and conditioners that are the color blue makes me realize that I should have never used them (in retrospect). Because a light blue opaque shampoo is completely unnatural... its reminiscent of a perscription shampoo and I beleive should only be used if you have severely dry and itchy scalp. But with that said Keracare does have great products- their glossifier and leave-in conditioner are really good!

I also believe every woman of color should implement Patene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural into their hair maintenance routines. Though seemingly too mainstream and perhaps not as high-end, Patene Pro-V is one of the best haircare systems for every woman (white, black, or and mix) and almost every celebrity hair stylist will recommend patene as an alternative to their self-named brands... it really is that good.

Nairobi is a product that I have not personally used, but want to. Why, you may ask.... well because during college every once in a while I would meet a woman whose hair was just so pretty and healthy looking and black that I would have to ask them what they use... and Nairobi was always the answer. So I feel like they have a good product- I've seen and touched the hair of Nairobi product users and I'll have to give them two thumbs up.

At a certain point during high school, I was adamant about my hair growing. So I stopped using gels, spritz, and alot of heat and I began to wrap my hair each night and nurture it. During my "nurturing" I would lightly "grease" my hair each night with my product of choice- at first Keracare, but I felt the clear Glossifier was lacking nutrients and the clearish pink Dry and Itchy Scalp moisturizer was too strong. Then I began to use Mizani's Rose H20 in conjunction with their Overnight Treatment- this worked well. But I felt like my hair became the most thick and was the strongest when I used Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil in conjunction with the Mizani products every now and again.


The Dr. Miracles commercials are funny and entertaining, but in my opinion that made the brand seem like a gimmik... I never desired to use it because I simply didn't belive the hype. But, my mother proved me wrong. She cut her hair to right below her ears (mid-neck) and a few months later her hair was to her back... her secret- using Dr. Miracles Stimulating Moisterizing Gro Oil every or every other night (and tying her hair with a silk scarf). Now the Gro Oil does have a strong smell and it's very liquidy, so not all people may be moved to use it.... but it works. I use it every time I get cornrolls and it keeps my edges straight and my hair looking and feeling healthy. Because this is an oil, if you are wearing your hair straight you should NOT saturate your scalp with it, just very lightly dab a little on parts of your scalp and edges (only do this a few times a week).

Each of us have our own experiences with hair products, feel free to share yours- and be as specific as you can:-) What are your top hair care products and why?

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say I agree with you about the Mizani. It has worked wonders on my hair! I have extremely thick coarse and dry hair that was previously impossible to manage before I had my hair relaxed with Mizani. I also use the mizani rose h20 and the night time treatment and my hair is sooo soft and silky now I always get compliments on it. Although the products are quite pricey no other products have given me the same amount of moisture and shine with no buildup or greasy feel and although my hair is cut into a short style it can still move. I would like to try the Mizani moisturefuse conditioner next as my hair has responded so well to their other products.
    Before trying Mizani I used to love organic root stimulator and I still use their shampoos. I did like the carrot oil but it tends to leave a buildup near my scalp which looks like yellow dandruff. I also like Soft Sheen Carson - Optimum Oil Therapy - Shine Booster for giving the hair shine and for moisture retention.
    By the way this website is great. The hairstyle pictures have given me some good ideas. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete